Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

No bi-amping or bi-wiring on the Magnepan 1.7i.

My first experience with hearing the difference in the sound of amps was when I went from an Adcom GFA 535 to an Adcom GFA 5500. Now there was a substantial jump in power between the two amps but in the room I was listening in they both should have been putting out the same amount of power at the same volume level. Adding the GFA 5500 was literally like adding a sub woofer to the system and it was measurable. Something Julian Hirsch I'm sure would have claimed impossible. Another major difference was in the width of the sound stage. I never really heard instruments appearing from outside the left and right boundaries of the speakers before but now with the right recordings they were appearing well outside the left and right speakers. That's not something that is subjective, it can be heard by anyone. In my opinion Julian Hirsch was far from a voice of reason. Maybe he couldn't hear the differences but I assure you they existed in the gear he reviewed. Otherwise we could all just go to Best Buy and buy a Sony and be done with it.

Now, when I bought the Vincent I had three different amps in the house. The Emotiva which it replaced and the previously mentioned GFA 5500. To be blunt you'd have to have very compromised hearing to not be able to hear the difference and the Vincent to my ears was superior to the other two in every way and the other two are fine amplifiers I could easily listen to if not for my obsession to always have more.

Until recently I thought all the hype about different speaker cables was delusional BS, but I decided to go from a generic pair of Mogami cable to Audioquest Type 8s. I was shocked! The difference wasn't subtle in any way. Even so I wanted to be sure so I swapped the Mogamis back in and there was no doubt, the Audioquests have a stronger and more detailed top end with a deeper, stronger bottom. Audiophiles are a different breed that cares about these things. Oddly even a lot of musicians could care less other than for the equipment they use to amplify their music.

I don't know what your present amp is, but unless it's already a very fine piece of equipment, rest assured, you'll hear a difference. Just don't give up on it in the first half hour of listening. It will come alive and hearing that will convince you that yes, there can be major difference is in sound between similarly specified pieces of audio gear.
LineSource

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.