Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Long term fan

I read many reviews by JWC over the years. His insight and methodology as a reviewer were very helpful in determining the character of a unit.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I learned about music, audio and the art of critical listening from the good doctor. His writing skills are exceptional and music collection massive. With classical, there was never a question of "Do you have [fill in the blank]?" Which of many do you want to hear? Want some Panufnik? Berio? No problem! I met him when I was 18 at a local HiFi shop (where I later worked part time in college). He became a good friend and mentor. I spent many a Sunday afternoon listening with him and participated in some of his reviewing sessions. They always included a legal pad as he took notes while playing music on a DUT. He also introduced me to his friend Harry who became another mentor. Hearing HP's systems is another discussion altogether. Dumb luck put me in the right places at the right time.

You may be aware JWC is a long term baritone in the Atlanta Symphony Chorus and was largely responsible for bringing Telarc there. He got me the opportunity to participate in the two day recording session of The Firebird in 1978 as "official timer" for the musicians. Meeting Renner, Woods and Dr. Stockham and witnessing their craft for that 21 year old was an amazing experience.

Being a student at that time, I wasn't in a position to buy them, however, the aural memory of that experience stuck with me.

I purchased mine at 20 but was able to buy them under salesman accommodation for about $1100. Still a lot of change for a college student, but it was an easy decision for me to make.

He prefers to drive his units with an ARC tube preamp and a Berning 2100 hybrid amp and it produces very satisfying music.

I'm also a fan of ARC preamps and have owned several since 1981. I used an SP-9MKIII driving VTL MB-450s (still use those) when driving the 2+2s. Yes, they really liked having nearly 500 watts per channel of tube power. System circa 2003:

I would have liked to meet Dr. Strickland and the others at Acoustat just to say 'Thank You' for designing and manufacturing such amazing and reasonably priced products.

Indeed, they have proven to be nearly bullet proof speakers that changed a few of the qualifiers that once were levied against electrostats - unreliable, finicky, lack of bass response, cannot play loudly, etc. While I find that Dr. West's creations better them in many ways, I nevertheless continue to appreciate the 1+1s.

My wife knew what she was getting into when we married in the mid eighties as I had the 2+2s. Shortly afterwards, we finished the basement of the home I had at the time, moved them there and since then have always had a dedicated space for the main system to live. But she tolerated the introduction of the 1+1s in the family room for the HT - for which she spends more time enjoying. With the remodeling project, we went to lengths to minimize the wire and component maze. There's a new hidden closet where the largish Emotiva five channel amp and Oppo Blu Ray player will live. Only the Emotiva processor and cable box/DVR will be visible on a floating shelf below the TV monitor. All wiring will go through hidden chases through the wall and floor. Power and signal for the speakers will use floor mounted boxes behind the speakers. The Maggies in the rear have speaker wire available on wall and post.

While a lot of progress has since been made, here is an earlier pic of the space where the monitor and 1+1s will live:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.