Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

The key is integrating the right sub(s) with speaker system & room.

While the Rhythmic has long been regarded as one of the best suited subs to integrate with Maggies it isn't the only fundamentals workhorse that achieves good sync and there are many factors to consider when augmenting bass. For instance, depending on crossover points, room size and placement considerations, one sub might be as effective as two in supplying low bass fundamentals. Directionality of low bass is less crucial below 40Hz. So, dependent upon the size of one's Maggie system in relation to room size, the crossover point may be set low enough to provide tightly sync'd bass fundamentals employing just one sub.

The sweet spot for Maggies is the 3.7i which rolls off below 40Hz. Setting a single sub's crossover point between 40 and 50 Hz and running Maggies full range ...keeping in mind speaker placement of both Maggies and sub... can probably achieve the right symbiotic synchronization. Of course, I'm only basing this on my own experience in a room that undoubtably varies greatly from most, but it works for me. My sub is a single Hsu Research ULS-15 Mk I, positioned between my main Maggie system.

In my experience solid bass slam is easily achievable with Maggies and a well integrated subwoofer. While Maggies produce good bass fundamentals on their own, the size of the room can be correlated with the volume of air being moved and bass extension perceived by the listener. In a small room it's much easier to increase the perception of deeper bass without one or more subwoofer(s). The kind of music to which one listens most often is also a factor in who prefers low bass augmentation in their system, but mileage will vary.

Cheers,
AuPh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The key is integrating the right sub(s) with speaker system & room. - Audiophilander 14:15:36 08/08/20 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.