Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Sound Lab U-1PX

The tube traps can't hurt. Did you build the diffusers behind the speakers?

Absolutely. I experimented extensively with placement of both traps and speakers. I found that stuffing all the big ones in the corners and using about an eight foot to front wall placement measurably improved bass linearity.

Actually, I built the bass traps using this recipe while the diffusors are commercially available RPG Skylines.

Glad to hear of your success with the 1.7s. I've been using one form or another of room treatments for over thirty years. Room dimension ratios matter too. The upstairs room is approximately 26 x 15 with a slightly extended section for half the width at the rear. While the "Golden Ratio" is 1.61, the primary room dimensions are close at 1.56. I've found such minimizes room modes.

Wifey and I are in the process of a home remodeling project (9 weeks in!) that combines the kitchen, family room and butler pantry areas while also moving the outside wall five feet further out. French doors leading outside will flank the fireplace. You may have seen the pic of the 1+1s in the home theater. That wall in front of the speakers is now gone (about where the exposed LVL beam is) and system orientation will be reversed. The dimensions will be both larger and closer to the Golden ratio.

I'll be able to tuck some of the gear in what will be the hidden closet to the right with only the processor and cable box sitting under the monitor on an invisible shelf. All cabling will be shuttled through conduits in wall and under floor between wall and speaker.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.