Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

not a classic monitor, but

Due to one of life's surprises, the layout of my room changed in such a way that I figured the 3.7s would have to go, so I bought a pair of Definitive's ST-L speakers to replace them.

I'm quite pleased with them, but I still couldn't bring myself to part with the 3.7s, which languished in their box for a few years. Eventually, I decided to sell the 3.7s and removed them to reverse some modifications, but couldn't resist putting them in my system first. That changed my mind - just can't part with them. So, I've been swapping back and forth every few months and it's like having a brand new system every time I make the change (part of the Mye stand is visible to the left of the speaker in the photo above). The weird thing is that each time I swap speakers, I am reminded how awesome whichever one I just put back in service sounds. In certain ways, each has a slight advantage over the other.

I just tore it all down (time for the annual deep cleaning) and installed a simplified 2-channel system, built around my old Marantz PM-11S1. Curiosity forced me to swap the 3.7s back into the system the next day. That 100wpc (200 into 4 ohms) drove them splendidly in a bedroom (best bass I ever heard out of a pair of Maggies) and it's up to the task in my 600sq' room, as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.