Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

3.6R based system finalized

Proud new member of the Magnepan family. Finally switched from conventional speakers (Dunlavy) to planars and will never regret it.It is truly amazing what these speakers are capable of with some tweaking.
I am very fortunate to have access to a dedicated basement room 19'WX35'LX9'H. As you can see, I am not concerned with aesthetics...system looks like a physics experiment. The back wall of the room is totally absorbant.
The objective of the project was to implement an excellent two channel system with as little money as possible. The only items I ended up purchasing as new were the DAC and Preamp. I also made my own diffusors and absorbing panels.
I purchased the used 3.6Rs last year and found out the two panels differed greatly in the mid range due to wrinkling. They were sent back to Magnepan for a total rebuilt. Purchased new ribbon tweeters also. The manufacturer did an excellent job in my opinion.
I listened to the refurbished speakers for quite a while before deciding that I needed better bass. A fellow planar member who has patiently guided me through my entire project, Tim (emailtim), recommended the OB/Dipole subs from GR. I bought a dual three woofer kit and have been amazed of how well they blends with the 3.6Rs.

Here is my system....
- Raspberry Pi 4/Volumio/Tidal USB2 (for streaming) and Cambridge Audio 840C for CDs INTO
- Denafrips Aeres II set to Oversampling, soft algorithm, INTO
- Schiit Freya Plus set to tube stage INTO
- Bryston 10B sub PRO set to Butterworth LP250/18dB HP200/6dB INTO
- Dual Bryston 7Bst for the 3.6Rs
- Dual Rythmik A370XLR3 for the subs
I am also using FIR Eq filters loaded into the Brutefir plug in Volumio corrected to 8000 Hz (no bumping of gains) with the following results (1/6 smoothing):

And now...time to enjoy the endless supply of music provided by Tidal!!!

Edits: 07/11/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Topic - 3.6R based system finalized - shumi 05:42:16 07/11/20 (25)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.