Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: After Market Stands For LRS

That's a hard one, and I sympathize, since I'm stuck with an undersized room as well.

The problem is that there's only so much you can do -- there's going to be some compromise.

I *have* heard the LRS's completely disappear and make a huge soundstage at just the right height -- that was at AXPONA -- and in that case, as I recall, the room wasn't very big (a hotel room) and the seats were against the rear wall. The question is how to do it. The only way I know, assuming that you've found the ideal positions, is with acoustical treatment.

Conventionally, if your seats are against the rear wall, you use absorption there. I tried it and wasn't wild about the results. What did work, curiously, was stacking GIK gridfusors (QRD diffusers). They aren't supposed to work when you're only a foot or two away, but for some reason, they did -- better than both the bare wall and the absorption.

Up front, diffusion would also be the usual approach.

I've found that diffusion in the front corners is very effective. Diffusion at the first reflection points behind the speakers is standard as well. (I haven't found that it works on the side walls in a room that size -- absorption would be more suitable there, if needed -- it could do more harm than good.) Diffusion may allow you to move the speakers further towards the front of the room without losing image depth.

So I think that's what I'd try first.

You could also consider the old fake-ficus-tree-behind-the-speakers trick to get some HF diffusion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: After Market Stands For LRS - josh358 18:21:32 06/04/20 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.