Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Absence makes the ears grow ... foggier?

A little over a month ago I had spent time tweaking sub alignment and speaker position and ended up with my 3.7's about 8" from the side walls, toe'd in about 45 degrees, tweeters inboard, forming a nice equilateral triangle tweeter to tweeter to MLP. Sounded and measured really nice! / 9ft \

Then there was mention of the Rooze setup so I tried it and was intrigued by the result. I essentially pivoted the speakers about their center so they were facing the side walls, similarly at about 45 degrees. I liked the result, and even adjusted my room treatment in the reflection area to be more reflective and not absorptive/diffusive. I reran Dirac Live, and liked the result. \ 9ft /

Then I went on a business trip to Europe for 10 days.

When I returned - right ear stuffiness from the plane ride not withstanding - things sounded a bit different. I adjusted some room treatment and reran Dirac, and it improved.

As Josh wisely said a couple weeks ago, it's the brain sorting out the acoustical paradox. But what I hear now is the overall sound and soundstage are still good, but the imaging just won't sit still. It seems to vary with frequency, with instruments moving across the soundstage as the music plays.

Has anyone experienced this, either with conventional or Rooze? The wandering minstrels?
Agilist, Musician, Photographer, Audiophile
Magneplanar: 3.7, CCR, MC1,LRS, MMGW, DWM; Outlaw: UltraX12, LFM-1C; Emotiva: XMC-2; Nord: Nord One NC500DM, Nord Three 1ET7040SA; Outlaw: Model 7500; OPPO 205

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Absence makes the ears grow ... foggier? - MarcL 07:10:08 07/08/19 (19)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.