Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: in defense of chat rooms -intentionally or not, they offer a Lot of free exposure

My first exposure to the Tympanis was a mind blower for a number of reasons, one being their ability to recreate the depth of field captured in a recording of a symphony orchestra on a stage in a concert hall (Holsts' The Planets on EMI). The instruments at the front of the stage were on the plane of the Tymps, the percussion section way, way back, sounding further away than the wall behind the speakers. A speaker SHOULD be able to reproduce that; few do.

The system had been set up by Bill Johnson of ARC (at his new dealer Audio Arts in Livermore, CA, owned and operated by Walter Davies, the guy who now makes the Last line of record, tape, and CD maintenance products. A great guy.), and was Tympani T-1's bi-amped with D51 and D75 amps, source a Thorens TD-125 table/prototype ARC arm/Decca Blue cartridge/SP-3 pre-amp. I bought myself that same system (except for the arm, which never made it into production. Had to settle for an SME 3009 ;-) a few months later.

Edits: 03/15/19 03/15/19

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.