Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 30.7's at Fairless Hills, PA - WOW

I do think that the spatial qualities are very much dependent on first arrivals vs. reflections + differential first arrivals from other parts of the driver. I firmly believe that planar drivers have a general cylindrical radiation so very little of what is produced above and below the center section of the drivers actually arrives at our ears. The only exception being what is reflected off the ceiling and floor from the top and bottom of the drivers respectively - as those are the only locations where there is a possible pressure gradient.

So I see how MarcL's heavy ceiling treatment would work to improve image precision and pull the soundstage ahead towards the listener. I put up an acoustic tile ceiling, so have not experimented with further diffusion or absorption there. But I did find an improvement by doubling up the thickness of the rugs in front of the mid/tweeter section. Those were removed in favor of a thin carpet after the 3rd flood as they were moldy. The soundstage did suffer in precision after that and moved backwards.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.