Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: maggie SMGa water based repair glue options?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

You know, this is one on which Neolith is perhaps being a bit too modest. A few years back he came up with a glue alternative that may just be the ticket for you. Around here, the typical recommendation is the DAP Weldwood contact cement. It does work very well.

Yet, I use both approaches. What Neo came up with was to use E-6000 glue instead. I must say that it not always worked as well as DAP for me in some areas. But this has been in extreme cases, where my bouts of industrial-strength stupidity prevailed...like playing the 1812 cannons on my ancient MMG's. This can loosen some E-6000-treated wire segments, not all. The virtues it has, however, have served me well.

One of these is pertinent to your case. E-6000 can dissolve more easily with acetone. I've tested laying and curing it several times, removing it with acetone each time from the same test areas.

Unless the Mylar in your Maggies is quite different from mine (made about two years after yours) I cannot see the acetone doing damage. You just have to be careful not to let it go into unwanted areas. Not hard at all. Later, you can do the "permanent treatment".

I must add that E-6000 proved ideal for banana peel segments, those you see at the top and bottom. If E-6000 gives hold, and everything does in that area eventually, it does so "gracefully", never a rattle. Then, at my leisure, I reapply.

Holding down wires - by segments - can be done with the battery trick while pressing with the thin end of a brush handle. I use a 12v car charger for brief periods of 5 sec or so to help positioning and curing along....but NEVER on the tweeters.

Follow Ups: