Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Ears to bass

"The ears to bass gives a wrong idea of bass output. As the lower frequencies are coupled from the whole diaphragm, and the lowest diaphragm resonances are supposed to be at the bottom half of the speaker."

It would be interesting if any 20.X owners could confirm this "ear to bass" observation. I'm having a hard time accepting that the relative quantity of bass to non-bass (or less bass, whatever that means) will dramatically (or even less dramatically) change after completed burn-in, at least not in the way the speakers will be capable of playing deeper down in their sound spectrum.

I know zipsters about how 20.7(i)s are supposed to be wired to their amplifiers, but if they don't provide full bass output, I think something is amiss. I attempted to confirm that either or both my Tympani IV-A lower bass and second bass drivers (mid-bass?) put-out more or less bass relative to my nearby ear location (top of speaker to floor level), but could not.
I listened to both the L'Elephant from different Saint Saens' Carnival of the Animals recordings, and massed double basses in a portion of Mahler's First Symphony recordings, second movement in an A to B repeat mode.

On the room placement of your 20.7 (and/or many other speakers as well), wherever in the room you hear them the most satisfying, I would at least attempt using them in the equilateral position, the distance between L and R speakers equal to the distance of each speaker to your ears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.