Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Why bi-amp Mags?

Steve, Magnepan, in the 3.7/i, put together really tangible improvements that showed with no need for an "imperfect" multi-amping option. It's like you got one of those original CTS-V Caddies and thought, "why would I add the unofficial computer performance tweaks, after all? This sucker is already top fun and will break my neck even now!"

That's kind of what 3.7i's can do, properly powered and located. Not "boring" at all once they break in for a few hundred hours. For me, they were the first Maggies to ever do planar-only slammy dynamics perhaps better than what I get at home, and do so in a dealer's setting, no mean feat! The same large room never helped the 20.1's do much for me. In addition, the 3.7 delivered there the 3D imaged sound stage that I can only achieve with PLLXO-based biamping at home and only after much tweaking. That was with the Magtech. Impressively, although with a very different presentation, they can still dance to the tune of less watts. Like less than 80wpc from McIntosh tubes. Not that I preferred it to Magtech's job, but it had great charm.

Then again, if I ever bought them...my mutant DNA would prevail :) There is upside potential left in the 3.7i if a proper line-level xover is used in bi/tri amp mode. Not easy but it could be done. It is what we mean. Properly matched, and crossed, even a $30 passive line-level xover and decent power amps can take Maggies further beyond factory performance. The beauty for you is that there may be no rush or even need to go there AT ALL...it is just potential.

Edits: 07/22/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why bi-amp Mags? - JBen 15:54:38 07/22/17 (2)
    • 3.7i - emailtim 19:38:59 07/22/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.