Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE a couple of your points

RE:" How is it possible 4 2 dirty amps along w/a dirty electronic active X-over to become CLEARER than 1 single clearer amp."

Because you were told an incomplete story. So incomplete, in fact, that we would spend too much time explaining it. We can try, but you have to want to go there.
-- Among other things, the intrinsic math of what you are talking about actually offers a far wider range of possibility than what simple additions may suggest.
-- For example, the behavior of two similar amps used at closer to their optimal power ranges, may yield better music purity than a single amp driven harder.
-- Then, by powering their respective drivers DIRECTLY, multi-amping can gain a tremendous advantage in CLARITY, to say the least. A quasi-ribbon tweeter WILL scare some real ribbons crapless at times. Mid/bass panels WILL at times blow even some larger non-biamped Maggies off the map, if they are not careful. And those larger, properly multi-amped Maggies, WILL leave many "Esoteric" speakers drowned by their sonic wake. (LOL, watch out for those 3.6R and 20.1!) The same applies to other multi-amped planars and dipoles. You give'm half a proper chance and they shine bright and clear.
-- Furthermore, if you tweak for it, the driver-amp interaction can provide results to die for in terms of not just clarity but almost every other single desirable trait. You CANNOT do this with a speaker-level, single amp approach.
-- Besides, you don't even need an electronic (active) xover, which BTW, can still be FAR better than what speaker-level xovers can be.
-- This is because -- where a PLLXO can be used instead -- WOW! They are often confused for "active" but they are not... they are totally passive. They forgo the supporting electronics. Unfortunately, while unbeatable in the right usage context, they are not ideal in many situations.
-- In the end, the real and imagined issues can be dealt with. Well, almost always... if it were THAT easy, everyone would be doing this. :)
-- Importantly, it is not always advisable or desirable to pursue multi-amping.

Re: "U's all must have never heard esoteric electronics."

Many here actually have, and often. Better yet, several here also attend live concerts every now and then. Furthermore, some even grew up and/or worked in music performing environments. I happen to belong in all 3 groups. Which is why I understand this: One thing many of us have in common is that, although "esoteric systems" may impress, they do not easily cut it for us planar lovers.

There simply tends to be a closeness in experience to more of the real music with planars and with good dipoles in general. I just read in another thread that you may have owned Maggies, so I suspect that you agree.

So, your original question, "Why bi-amp Maggies?" could have a clear cut answer:
Because if you do it right, you will never stop loving the delightfully sounding BEAST that you have created." Release the Kraken!

Edits: 07/22/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.