Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tick tock

Hi all... thank you for the 'cheers'... :)

So to give you an overview.... when they came in ... I will say they didn't 'sound great out of the box'.... In fact - when I first hooked them up ... I thought - omg - everyone was right... It is an amp.... room.... whatever mismatch!!!! The vocal was very 'tizzy' - vocals sounded like they were a bit sharp.... coming from about 20 ft behind the speaker etc...
This was all with brand new cabling... an amp that had sat idle for a week un-plugged ... and a new room that had never had any type of music played in it ever.... Then - things started to change....

After about 5 hours - vocals sounded less 'tizzy' .. but still had edges.... probably about a 50% improvement..... I asked my son - 'what would be a good organ works we could put on to help these break in while we go do some stuff'... Some Bach ... of some sort - (I am not an expert ... he is...).... So I let that play for about 4 hours in the day along with Beethoven violin quartets or sonatas or something or other.... (I like it... I just don't know it... :) ).... So, we probably put about 10 more hours on them while I wasn't listening.... I would go down and listen periodically - and I brought a folding chair to try different positions.... I have them about 9' edge to edge spread apart with minor toe in.... Not much in the way of absorption /diffusion along the front wall.... So - I started monkeying with seating position....

Initially location was speakers -10' off front wall / about 1.5' from side walls...9' apart ... in a 17X30 room.... Listening position 12' from mid line of speaker plane.... (later added 2 GIK 244's along the front wall) So, I moved the folding chair to around the 10' mark.... Way better.... a little more solid ... little more percussive... better center imaging ... less diffuse.... So - had my son and his girlfriend come down later that night to try it... everyone agreed... couch is moving up 2'.... (and as you know a 10' distance from 20.7s seems like near-field....as they are so imposing)... So later that night - we put on some symphonic - Mahler 5 - Tilson/Thomas ... Rachaninov (sp?) - piano concerto #2.... Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake - Jarvi ...... Beethoven Piano sonatas .... Well all of the above sounded exceptional.... The tympanis are still a little under wraps ... but they are better.... as are the mids..... Horns are pretty exceptional as are violins.

In the middle of all this we noticed ... 'hey - the right speaker needs to be toed in more'.... and bam!! - more focus ... more solid foundation.... Lets put on 'The Floyd'.... so I put on Wish you were here -- because doggone it - I needed to hear that opening acoustic guitar and I needed something to say 'wow' about... We were not disappointed..... Secondly - put on Dark Side of the Moon..... to listen to a track or so.... Listened to the whole damn album.... Something very magical is starting to happen.... This sacd version has always sounded fairly muddled to me.... Not no mo'.... Hearing things - quite frankly I have never heard before.... Vocals are starting to snap into place - and have better focus.... No longer the 'tunnel effect' .... but still with a ton of depth.... yet more 'one with the music'.....

If I can get my jazz 5 terabyte disk to mount - I'll be set (while moving everything - my flakey computer will only mount 3 of my drives thru the hub- and the drive is fine as I checked it on another computer)....

So - will continue on this journey.... get pics and report more as I go along..... Sorry for the length... but this is a bit of fun....and having the room/cables/speakers all come together all at once is really a bit overwhelming.... haha...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.