Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Diffusion

I'm OK with some degree of attenuation, in fact I think it's probably desirable since early first reflections have to be about 20 dB down from the direct sound before they stop influencing the image and diffusers are kind of marginal for that. Not wild about the notches -- I've read before that QRD's have those issues -- but I'm not sure how sonically significant they are since it's all happening above the Schroeder frequency and at lower levels as well.

I didn't know that those Acoustics First diffusors had better performance than a QRD (or presumably skyline) but it makes sense since they aren't discrete. They wouldn't work for my application, though, because of the window. I'm curious now about old-fashioned pyramidal diffusers, which are really more reflectors than diffusers since they produce lobes off to the sides -- basically a few specular reflections. Ideally, I'd like to have a compact way to make an RFZ zone. You need as I recall about a 30 degree angle to do that and I'd contemplated making a Fresnel mirror but that generally requires acoustical stuffing -- if I used a lucite prism shape it could be entirely transparent, perhaps some damping material at the top and the bottom within the prism.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Diffusion - josh358 12:53:32 07/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.