Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Progress

Heh, thanks. It's been a long haul, but it is starting to come together and it was well worth the trouble.

I really should fill out my profile, but I have so much to do right now and the system is still in a state of flux: I have to fix the delam, do the Neo 8 mod, put in the Mini DSP, score another amp or make a passive XO, etc. So I'll probably wait until I've gotten a bit further to fill in the blanks. But in the meantime, the projector is the cheapest 1080P 3D DLP I could get at the time, an Acer 6510BD that I bought in 2014.

It's already obsolete, but despite being cheap and old, it makes a spectacular picture, and I say this as an old video engineer who sees all the little departures from perfection -- contrast ratio, DLP noise, rainbows, issues with colorimetry. The thing is, the image is so spectacular that you really don't care much.

This thing is a real light cannon, with 3000 lumens, so you can watch it even in a lit room with the blinds drawn (note that the photo was taken in daylight with the room lights on), though for best quality of course the room should be dark. At its brightest the fan is loud and the colors lose saturation, but in a darkened room it's fine in eco mode with the color boost off, and then it looks like film.

Another disadavantage for some is that it has a slow color wheel, so some people see rainbows. No way to predict who will. Most people don't seem to see them -- I see them only in rare cases -- but some people see them all the time and an inexpensive DLP projector will drive them crazy. You don't have to spend much more for a model with a faster color wheel and perfect colorimetry.

Also, for this price, you don't get lens shift but that isn't a problem if you figure out the offset and mount the projector at the correct height. The manual didn't give the offset spec so II ended up standing there with the projector over my head raising and lowering it until the keystoning went away, and then got a mount of the right length on Ebay.

I'm surprised that more people don't have projectors. They cost no more than a 55" flatscreen and they're a different experience entirely, much more engaging -- like being in a theater. You can get a newer model like this one for about $500 -- better colorimetry and HDR --

https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD142X-Lumens-Theater-Projector/dp/B01HQCF6R6

With the right paint, a wall makes a fine screen, or you can make a screen for $20 out of a sheet of Parkland plastic from Home Depot, or if you need a motorized screen you can wait for a sale and get one from Monoprice for $350.

(If you want 4K DLP, you still have to spend $2000 and it won't do 3D, so I'd wait a couple of years for the price to drop.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.