Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Diffusion is a dipole's friend.

I'm learning a lot though - that diffuser's like the EPS are also pretty good attenuators at frequencies where the reflected wave forms cancel because of phase delays - a 3 inch deep reflector difference cancels a -1000 Hz signal very effectively. I've used these kinds (homemade) a lot, on sidewalls and they work pretty good as much as an attenuator as a diffusor. (as measured using a room acoustics software program (DIRAC). I think that placement directly behind a planar would not be as good as the placement you show. There are some ASTM papers discussing the performance of these kinds of diffusors that are generating up to 15dB attenuation at perpendicular incidences at some frequencies.

"Fancier" (more random) diffusors (Acoustics First) shown in the picture still attenuate but not in so much a "peaky" way.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Diffusion is a dipole's friend. - BigguyinATL 14:24:17 07/13/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.