Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Progress

I suspect your amp was not broken in since the power draw from the Avantegard Uno was minuscule so you would not have had sufficient temperature and current cycling through your output stage. In situations like that I suggest a week or two of burn in on a dummy load on loud broad spectrum music played at 0db=20% of peak output power rating, or somewhat higher if you are present to track heat or other issues with the amp.

That said, I think what DHT SETs do well is still an issue for any SS amp. Namely good linearity at low output without feedback. Contrary to the people thinking it is the distortion that you find euphonic, I think it is the lack of non-linearity till you approach clipping or exceed the input or output transformer's linear range (typically 1/3rd of its rating). The relatively high noise is only a problem if it is distracting or annoying, and same goes for 2nd order distortion which we tolerate very well and can sometimes be a positive in filling out harmonic content that was stripped out by upstream electronics and digital recording as well as over damped speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Progress - Satie 16:01:37 07/12/17 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.