Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

Saties mention of direct-to-disc LP's brings me back to the day I first heard one, and what a startling thing it was. I was hearing not only the lack of analog tape recorder distortion (of all types, including the all-important smearing in the temporal domain), but it just so happened I heard that LP on Magneplanar Tympani-I's! The first "full" range planar loudspeaker I had heard, though I had heard the great RTR ESL tweeters in the ESS TranStatic I, as well as the Infinity Servo-Static ESL speakers.
It was the second Sheffield album---The Missing Linc (Volume II). Normal LP's sounded positively anemic after hearing that LP---the transient attack, the "aliveness" and immediacy of the Sheffield LP, showed how much damage was done to the signal after leaving the recording studio input pre-amps. Not just the recorder, but all the electronic outboard gear the signal is processed through, as well as the mastering stage of LP production. As much better as some things have gotten since that day in the early 70's, there is STILL nothing that sounds as live as a good direct-to-disc LP.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.