Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Happy 4th, DIY Neo8+Open Baffees PLUS a Fat Tire!

Thanks for the kind words it was great to have you come over and listen to my system. There will be a Fat Tire in our refrigerator, anytime you come over. I look forward to listening to your system when it is all back together again.

For the 4th I smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs and a few pounds of pork loin and took them to a party. They were inhaled rather quickly, so I am starting to get the hang of that as well. Perhaps, the next time you can try some of my smoked offerings (hopefully not electronics) to go along with some Fat Tire.

I am pleased with the speakers in general, and the system in total. It is always nice to get confirmation from another set of ears, however.

Unfortunately this hobby for me has been a bit of a solo endeavor. My wife likes to listen to the system occasionally, and enjoys watching movies, however she enjoys it as a "destination" not as a "journey." I haven't found any like minded folks locally to enjoy the journey with me, except JBen.

If there are any folks in this area (SE Florida) that enjoy this hobby perhaps we can figure out how to become more social in doing it.

Regarding things to be done to the cabinets, I have some "No-Res" I was going to apply, and rear grill cloths, to give it a more finished look.

One thing I would really like to do is to compare the speakers to some high end speakers in perhaps a showroom. In my living room I have compared them to B&W 802 S3 Matrix and KEF 105/4, speakers that I own. They sound noticeably better than either to me. But I'd like to compare them to some higher end Maggies or current B&W diamonds.

When I do my own testing/comparing I use an Adcom GFA-555 S2 I have laying about, sometimes with an Emotiva sound processor as a pre, sometimes just jacking my notebook directly into the Adcom.

I also need to try a Dynakit 70 that I have in another system to see how they behave with tube power.

As JBen pointed out my system is comprised of Emotiva XPA-1s for the Fronts, and for two channel listening. The rest of the electronics are Emotiva and includes XMC-1, an XPA-3 for center and rear surround, and and XPA-2 for the surrounds. At present all the speakers except the surrounds are DIY. The surrounds are Mirage Omni 260, Center channel DIY my own design, Rear channel North Creek Echo kit with custom cabinet & Xover, Dual subwoofers, 1-Rythmik Audio DS1500 kit, 2- Titanic 10" subs sealed driven by crown amp.

At any rate thanks again JBen.

Edits: 07/05/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.