Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

I agree that the black box approach has not gone over well.

It's as if a car manufacturer refused to tell you how many cylinders their car has, and said, the only thing that counts is performance, take the car for a test drive -- and on top of that, there weren't any dealers in most of the country at which you *could* take the car for a test drive.

At the same time, I understand Wendell's point. A lot of stuff is sold using specsmanship or bragging about materials and tech. "Micronized rodent tongues, lapped to within a millionth of an inch, damp resonances in the low-infrasonic region . . . "

So while I do agree that they should return to releasing this basic information, and think that they're unnecessarily causing friction with some of their most loyal customers, I don't think that kind of info does the person contemplating an upgrade a bit of good. If anything, it might mislead them because of the power of tech lust.

I mean, we know that they added a damping strip to the 3.7i. From an engineering perspective, that interests me, but what does it tell me about whether the upgrade would be worth $500 and shipping? Nothing. Even if I saw the measurements they wouldn't tell me that.

I'd either have to listen (preferable), read a review (good if a reputable reviewer but in my experience anyway only about 50% compared to listening), rely on scuttlebutt, or just trust that Magnepan wouldn't have made the upgrade if it hadn't been worthwhile.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Here you go - josh358 06:43:23 07/04/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.