Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

I got your point, I was replying to Norman's post which seemed to raise other issues. As you know, I'm very much in the camp that says they should release some specifics when possible (e.g., not proprietary info), because this seems to me an unnecessary sticking point between Magnepan and some of its most loyal customers.

One thing I can tell you knowing Wendell as I do, this isn't just a marketing gimmick. He personally despises the kind of wet dream advertising that sells products on the basis of technology and specs and believes that the only thing that really counts is how the product sounds in a blind test. This is very much a part of their corporate philosophy -- they won't ship anything that doesn't improve sound in a blind AB test. It's I think one of the reasons they have such a good price/performance ratio -- rather than just throwing tech in, they use it only if it makes a significant improvement in the sound of the speaker.

Still, I'm not enough of a purist to claim that I'm not interested in what's under the hood. :-) Hell, I just got an AHB2 because I was fascinated by the design approach -- feedforward technology used in an attempt to get Class A-level performance from a low-bias AB/Class H design. (I'd say they've been partially successful -- it's probably the cleanest amplifier I've ever heard, it makes the A21 which is already high bias AB and has a great distortion spectrum, sound coarse and thick by comparison, but it seems to have some dynamic problems on piano -- still ABing it with the A21. One thing it's taught me -- those low-level distortion products really are audible as I'd suspected and despite the hoary experiments that say they shouldn't be.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.