Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Nwer Quads are Made in China.. For some folks this matters.. nt

> I am not interested in the speakers playing louder they play plenty loud enough for me and for most people that own them.

I'm sure that's right for most Quad owners. My comments were in response to BDP24's assertion: "Plus, if you add a pair of great subs (the GR Research/Rythmik OB/Dipole being ideal), the QUAD 57 will play considerably louder, relieved of playing deep bass.

> Using any crossover no matter how it is implemented is going to sully the Quad to some extent you can 'hear' the filter. For those more interested in improved dynamics, increased maximum SPL and additional power in the bottom they may not care about this minor change in the speaker.

I agree with you that adding a crossover before the main speaker to deprive it of low frequencies and adding a sub is a daft approach. Much better to choose a speaker that provides the range of frequencies you want in the first place, preferably without resorting to subs - certainly not to crippling the main speaker just to get it to play mid and top a bit louder!

> The larger Quad still does not have enough weight and authority in the bottom. Compare the speakers to something like a Sound Lab and the problem is immediately apparent.

I was also of that view until I listened to a Quad 2905 system, properly powered and well set up. I was astonished at how wrong I was in thinking that all Quads lacked decent bass. I'm sure there are some who think that the sound from these big Quads (2905 and 2912) still needs boosting in the bass, but it's likely to be a minority of owners of these models. I've not heard Sound Labs speakers.

Whoever said that adding the 2 extra bass panels (2912 compared with 2912) adversely affects the mid and top is surely talking nonsense since the extra panels do not in any way interfere with the central mid and top ones which are identical in both models.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.