Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Here you go

I think the reason they do customer support at cost is because they represent an earlier ethos in high end audio, which originally was (and still is) a labor of love rather than a cutthroat take the customer for what he's worth business.

In fact, that's one of the reasons I like Magnepan, they take me back to the days when audio was a hobby and it wasn't all about $100,000 this and cables marked up 10,000 percent.

But I agree completely that their service department should charge a fair markup, not the take the customer for all he's worth markup of mass consumer goods but a fair one. After all, the company has to survive and they aren't making any money off Tympanis sold 35 years ago, in fact every time they help a customer restore an old Maggie it means they've lost a potential sale of a new one.

Otherwise, I think, in all fairness, their customer service is usually top notch. They offer a level of support that is almost unheard of these days. Just look at other speaker manufacturers -- if your IRS loses an EMIT, good luck, you're going to have to have it refurbished by a third party. But when I needed some felt for my 35-year-old IVA's I just called Magnepan and wham.

By way of contrast, my 1-1/2 year old, $650 smart phone doesn't even have a replaceable battery, and Android will only be supported three years from date of purchase!

And don't even get me started on waiting an hour for tech support from most companies these days and then talking to someone in Bangalore who barely speaks English and knows less than I do.

So while I hope Magnepan can find a fix for some of these issues I think on balance their service is light years ahead of most companies these days.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Here you go - josh358 06:58:45 06/22/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.