Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Nwer Quads are Made in China.. For some folks this matters.. nt

The larger Quad does give the speakers some more energy in the bottom but it is not a dramatic difference. For those that like Quads but don't think the bottom has enough will probably not think the large Quad makes much difference. They would still want subs.

I am not interested in the speakers playing louder they play play plenty loud enough for me and for most people that own them. The question becomes how do we get more bottom without messing up what we already love about the Quad.

Using any crossover no matter how it is implemented is going to sully the Quad to some extent you can 'hear' the filter. For those more interested in improved dynamics, increased maximum SPL and additional power in the bottom they may not care about this minor change in the speaker.

Personally I prefer letting the Quad run full range and crossing in the sub around 35-40Hz. If done properly the integration will be seamless even with rather modest subs. You get the additional extension and energy in the bottom without changing the character of the Quad.

The larger Quad still does not have enough weight and authority in the bottom. Compare the speakers to something like a Sound Lab and the problem is immediately apparent. The Quad is adequate in the bottom providing a good musical foundation and for most people this is good enough.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.