Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Nwer Quads are Made in China.. For some folks this matters.. nt

> One might argue that the least important part of adding a sub is the improvement in the bottom. It is the improvement in the mids and highs were they make the most improvement.

But only if the main speaker is protected from the bass. A crossover needs to be introduced to achieve this at some stage before the signal gets to the main speaker.

I'd agree that, if done properly, perceived loudness of Quads 57s would increase if they are deprived of bass frequencies and a sub is used to handle all the bass, rather than just supplementing and reinforcing the main speaker's efforts.

However, the old criticism always levied at the use of subs raises its ugly head - getting the two speakers to work seamlessly together. The Quad on its own has no such problem. The Quad with a sub starts to have these problems. An attenuated Quad (deprived of bass frequencies) exaggerates the problem. Best perhaps to get a Quad that doesn't need a sub - 2905 or 2912! Which gets us back to the OP's initial question.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.