Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: HELP - Wendell, Josh, whomever!!

Yes, Agreed on the first point. SF would be a terrific place for a real dealer or a factory store experiment.
However, and I urge you to verify this, I'll bet you can't get 2000 sq/ft for less than 10k a month.
5$ per foot per month is not that much these days. MIght easily be DOUBLE or more.
Help will be Professional and Knowledable. Not even good HighSchool kids, except if you have a warehouse to move stuff around in, and than depending on how much you sell.
You'll need GEAR in addition to the speakers. 2 or 3 amps across product / price lines to start and integrated as well as the big boys.
You'll need to divide the space into 2 or 3 or perhaps more sound rooms which are well insulated and properly designed. You can't just frame up walls and use sheetrock and paint it. Cheesy.

Don't forget the goal is to sell speakers and DEMO them in good conditions. My house would be an awful place given the size / shape of my listening area.

Add another 10,000 to 20,000$ for carpet / decor / lighting / business office+

So now, you've got 2000 sqft. 10k a month for 6 months
Walls to be built. 3 to 5 man carpenter team for a couple days followed by Electricians and than PAINTERS. painters? Yep. Gotta LOOK good. Call it 20 days of construction at 2000$ per day minimum. That's 40 Large.

You'll need on On-Site guy from Magnepan. A Site supervisor. And don't forget the plans and search FOR the correct location.
Call it 5 grand a month for 2 months. One of search, one of construction. Might be less.

Gear for the store and training are next. More time spent NOT SELLING where you do setups and tests and arranging and putting in sound treatments. Man, that sounds GOOD. Burn Rate of another couple grand per week.

Are sales Consultants on Salary ($$$ in bay area) commission, which eats into Maggie profits unless store sells for MORE than retail? I don't see THAT as a choice.

The longer you stay open, the lower your cost per day of all the above is, so that should be taken into account, too.

Is 6 months long enough? Is a YEAR long enough or TOO long? What if it takes off? Can you get a lease extension or will you be held up for higher rent or MOVE OUT?

As kind of an Aside, look at the APPLE model. Go to an Apple store and COUNT up what is on display than do the math.
Look at the side-racks with software, goodies cables, adapters, and whatever.

Nope, while I'm no expert at this, I wouldn't at all be surprised if my estimate were LOW not high.

And I'm certain that I may have omitted something. Maybe even something COSTLY. Building permits? Business License? Flea Collars for everybody?

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.