Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I like it!

Am I correct in thinking that in general, planars don't benefit from bass traps in the corners of the front wall?

That is definitely contrary to measured results in my room. While my stats have a more arced radiation angle than yours, they are still dipoles. I spent hours experimenting with various distances of speaker to front wall and bass trap placement measuring each variation.

I was going to begin my post by saying that regardless of who thinks what, you will benefit from experimenting. This is not intended to be a slight on any of the experienced folks here, but if you know the story of inmate Mike Lavigne you will appreciate the sentiment. Originally, I spread my bass trap forest around the room evenly and found that was not as effective as bunching the larger ones behind the speakers. You'll also find a third octave graph showing my success.

There are pics of my arrangement in the gallery (click my moniker) which use traps, some diffraction in the form of skylines and of course, some fake ficus plants! My room is a bit different than yours in that it is (fortunately) not a square box having asymmetric features and dormers. The open space behind your room proper should prove to be an advantage to an otherwise squarish format.

Good luck in the process. Room treatments can have a profound effect on the sound quality. I even employ some DIY treatments for the garage system. :)

Edits: 06/08/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.