Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Is there an optimum room placement for a dipole?

Of course it is nice in theory but it is not realistic as at high frequencies the reflection null node will be very narrow and above 5khz you will be moving in and out of it as you make normal movements of your head. And for transient events you are more concerned with the reflection of the backwave arriving as late as possible and as attenuated as can be in order to make use of the precedence effect to obtain better clarity and spatial performance. . And you want the reflection's arrival time to be spread out as possible so that the reflected peak transient is of low SPL and has a much longer rise time than the direct radiated one.
Also so long as your source is spread out horizontally - as the reflections that reach you from each driver would be from different angles they would have different path lengths, so you can have the cancellation occur for that one driver out of the 3 in a ribbon maggie. . Besides which planar radiators are fairly wide and radiate more uniformly than a cone. So reflections of output away from the center of the driver are just as strong as the central output.
I saw this argument before and tried it and it didn't work beyond the lower mids, which for maggies is not the thing you want to have cancel out, you want to use the lowest bass modes to obtain a more substantial bass balance.
The Limage placement makes more use of the room reflections and wall loading effects to get the most out of the planars - assuming room geometry works..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.