Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tympani IVs in a 12x 22 x9 room

I prefer to biamp with two identical amps. It solves the problem of matching gain and I think the integration across the audio spectrum is better.
BTW, there are two ways to actively biamp - vertically and horizontally. In vertical biamping, there is one stereo amp for each speaker, similar to monoblocks - stereoblocks if you will. With horizontal biamping one amp handles the two bass channels, and the other handles the two treble channels. In order to vertically biamp, the amplifiers need to be identical. The advantage of horizontal biamping is that you can use two different amps. As I said, I prefer using identical amps and vertically biamping. This allowed me to place the amps right behind the speakers and use eight 2' pieces of 16 AWG magnet wire for the speaker cables. The IC's were balanced and unaffected by the long runs. Balanced IC's are much less affected by materials and construction compared to unbalanced and consequently much cheaper.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 05/15/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tympani IVs in a 12x 22 x9 room - neolith 17:13:38 05/15/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.