Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Neolith has posted Excel Spread Sheet for magnepan speakers

Satie and Roger,

This is a concern to me.

Okay just so where are on the same page I have the following.

The T1DS consisted of 3 panels. There were 2 panels which accounted for the bass and were either linked in series or parralelled. This was cut off at 1100Hz.

The other panel was the tweeter. The tweeter went from 1100 to 20k.

Now in my case the base panels were rewired BUT in QR and NOT the traditional wire. They measure approx 4.25 a piece. This meant they were linked in series.

Now the tweeter panel was rewired. The right hand channel had the mylar replaced as well due to overwhelming damage. So both tweeter panels were rewired.

Unless you have seen the T1D tweeters you wont know that the drivers themselves have to be separated to see the wiring. Magnepan do not recommend doing this. In fact Magnepan do not do any repairs and simply send you out a new one. The repairers however managed to work on them.

I am not aware of the wiring on these panels. So I dont know if they have double runs or not. My thinking right now is that they have not used the right thickness wire or they have not completed double runs etc.

What I can say after repeated testing is that both drivers measure 2 ohms.

Now what are the implications in terms of XO filters.

I have set it up where I can go active or passive.

In a passive setup I have a bank of capacitors which measure in total 35.1 uF.

From what I can see the single inductor has been replaced by one that is double the size of the original. I believe the original meaured .7(?)

My feeling at the moment is that the rewiring on the driver was not done correctly and more importantly the filters are not correct in line with the respective impedances.

Not sure what else to say. Any ideas on what the caps and inductor should be in a passive setup given the nominated impedances and does anyone have a photo of a stripped tweeter panel to show the wiring.

Cheers Ozzie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.