Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: First Watt B4 arrives today - setup questions for Tymp I-Ds

Since your amps are different, check the gains - they need to be the same -- and use your XO to adjust. Remember gain is not the same as sensitivity. As far as polarity goes, since the LP and HP filters are both 1st order, the polarity of the tweeter and woofer is irrelevant -- the phase will always differ by 90 degrees.
If you are using a frequency analyzer then you want a pink noise generator. There are several available on line, just Google. However the best program IMO is REW5 which is free and includes a function generator. To get the best out of the REW5 you will want a calibrated mike. I use the UMM-6 from PartsExpress which now is about $80. This will not only help you setup the crossover but also help you position the speakers and adjust the sub if you have one. BTW you may need a cheap soundcard if your computer does not have line outputs. I use a Behringer UCA-222 which is about $30.
And yes you can do a pretty good job with just your ears which is what the vast majority do.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 04/21/17 04/22/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: First Watt B4 arrives today - setup questions for Tymp I-Ds - neolith 08:00:51 04/21/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.