Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Class-D component

There is no inherent problem using class D amps, they just need to be of proper ratings for power and current and as well made and refined as you are willing to pay for.

Maggies, and particularly ribbon models are quite revealing of common nits in the high frequency performance of most class D amps. That said, they have improved substantially over the last decade. And competing class A AB amps of similar power performance are not necessarily that much better at the same price points.

The Crown XLS series amps are powerful and relatively inexpensive and in audiophile terms they are downright cheap. But when compared to similar powered or even lesser powered well designed class AB amps they are loose in the bass and not as resolving on top. What it is most obviously is inoffensive. For actual performance in refinement and bass you can use a higher line of amps from Crown, like the XTI series and even the extremely high power macrotech "i" or "HD" series at an appropriately higher price.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.