Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: A warning from Magnepan

Wendell doesn't believe that that was caused by overheating. Here's what he has to say about it:

"When the aluminum foil gets sufficiently hot, it melts a long section, typically in numerous places. It doesn't happen quickly and the correct fast-blow fuse will protect the tweeter or midrange.

"I have done all the destruct tests. I turn up the volume until the fuse blows. I leave the volume setting where the tweeter fuse blew and install a copper slug and put the CD player on repeat. I continue the cycles until the equivalent of 50 to 100 tweeters would have blown. The fuse value is set at a conservative level. I have never damaged a quasi-ribbon tweeter or midrange with the correct fuse."

This makes sense to me in that the aluminum will heat evenly along its length and the mylar will melt long before the aluminum does.

How's this for a theory? There was a flaw or metal fatigue in the aluminum. When the amplifier clipped, sending a high voltage to the tweeter, the weak segment opened up and you got an arc fault, melting the plastic. So the failure mechanism would be similar to that of a ribbon tweeter, except that the mylar would hold the aluminum in place and melt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.