Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: DWM Bass Panels & Sanders Magtech , " On Trial " ...

Set up mains 14" off side wall , 8' out from FW and less toe in of
only 2" with tweets inboard . Panels both side wall butted 14" forward of mains . I have a notepad collection of "best spot" measurements but this was one of the best .

- DWM wired to only one set of speaker posts was just what sounded right although with a bit of upper mid bass yet needing an inductor(?) for it to be rolled off lower.(?)

I was not given resistors or inductors during the four day trial ; Which is a good question I need answered : Both transducers were powered weren't they as hooked up ?

I have great hopes of not needing to use the Halo A-21 & its preamp just to attenuate the volume but that is yet an option I hadn't tried .

I do so love what they brought to the presentation here , visceral impacts, definition and fatter tone to kettle drums and that rumble of bass notes being highly articulate, as well as a show of not air movement at all like paper cones pushed by 800 - 900w but a hell of alot like it the maggie way , YES felt in the chest - And this is at moderate levels.

Now if I only knew about inductors to be delivered along with the custom order dark grey covered, black rails with dark grey bow front dress up kit in about , you think , 3 weeks (hopefully, maybe).

I'm sure of it, I will be able to run all off of the Magtech and resistor down the volume , roll off the mid bass with inductor(s) by trial and trial and just a smidgen to the inch and back .

Had the couch moved from the back wall to a side and have two LPs on center in this small theater / listening room , both near field and 4'
off of back wall .

Had gear racks installed and trying to use some absorption panels and bass traps easily moved for a more lively display .

Every time I inserted the Magtech I was mostly satisfied more often than things not sounding right and needing more adjustments for the Halo A21 to sound its best. Giving each a full day each then half day switch outs.

I really was wanting the Halo to be satisfying too and to send Dr. Sanders piece back; But we all know how it is once we hear something better we just cannot help ourselves but to choose the piece presenting a multifaceted improvement to well known tunes .

I found the Magtech most musical due to its improvement in pacing through dynamic swings to that black space and beat done effortlessly and just sounding "Right" .

Took me awhile to put my finger on it , but that's it , superbe pacing which the A21 just doesn't compare to - As well it shouldn't both at half watts & price.

Another improvement was a cleaner window allowing fleshed out details to be known as the instrument plays off in the further background rather than only notes heard , often with violins for instance .

Takes time to appreciate fully these differences in micro and then to name each, but in macro view , it just sounds brutally RIGHT , Magtech vs Halo A21 .

Edits: 03/27/17 03/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.