Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another First Reflection Trap (FRT) Adventure : Quasi-Ambiophonics

Hi, thanks to all participating and posting about these ideas.

I just setup something like a full barrier made out of 2 sheets of 50mm acoustic foam. These are at an angle to accommodate going around my equipment which is in the center of the speakers (so the barrier touches the side of each of the speaker cabinet and there is some dead space between the foam... the last 70CM to the LP is pretty much a solid block 100mm thick). I have the current total angle at about 40 degrees, sitting somewhat nearfield about 2 meters away from the speakers. My speakers are typical box monitors, but use a single Heil from about 800 hz on up and a long throw woofer for below that..

I think in reality the effect works well (almost 100%) while sitting up to 15 CM from the barrier edge in the way I have it set up currently.

This worked as I expected for sound stage, as I have a couple Carver C-9's and a C-16 currently in the closet and in the past used a C-1 with Carver Amazings -- but I was totally surprised by the increase in clarity using the barrier.. top to bottom everything was more precise... performed like a serious upgrading to the speakers...

So I was wondering if any software version can match the physical barrier as far as this increase in clarity is concerned. I already purchased Amtra, but my preliminary tests have not been successful.

I am sourcing materials for a more permanent style barrier. I will also give another try to the software again (at 20 degrees) when I tear down this temporary barrier, but I would be interested to know if in fact the software can duplicate the clarity improvement as well as a correctly devised physical barrier.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.