Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan service hello....

According to Mark Winey, they run their service department at cost, so it seems that they aren't making a profit on those rebuilds at all.

Really, I told Wendell when I got some parts for my IVA's that they should charge more because what they charged me was ridiculous! I don't see how it could even pay for their actual costs. I'm glad that they don't puff up the cost of service and parts the way so many companies do, but it seems to me they should make a fair profit on it, doubly so since rebuilt speakers can cut into their current sales.

On the other hand, the fact that they do support products going so far back has to be a plus for their reputation -- remember the fuss when Martin Logan announced that they were going to stop servicing older speakers and got so much flack that they had to back down? I know that one of the questions I ask when I buy audio equipment is whether the company will be around to service it, or be willing to. There are great people like Graz who can fix or upgrade products that are no longer supported, but it can be quite costly.

That said, while Magnepan will rebuild the oldest Maggies Wendell points out that it doesn't always make economic sense for the customer to have it done. Certainly on something like the IVA's it would, particularly given the absurd prices they were selling for until recently . . . for the kind of music I listen to, I'd take my IVA's over most of the high end speakers I've heard recently because for all their flaws they actually sound like real music. I've been experimenting with some MQA albums Tidal is streaming now and boy, do they sound good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.