Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Another First Reflection Trap (FRT) Adventure : Quasi-Ambiophonics

STC: "The crosstalk effect only effective for frequencies below 4000Hz. You may get a better result with the midrange separated by 10 to 20 degrees."

The crossover of my MMG speaker is actually at 1,000 Hz, so the tweeter is handling those frequencies. Working out the geometry I used when I had the speakers as close together as the 4 inch wide barrier would allow, the included angle between tweeter quasi-ribbon centers was 16.6 degrees, and between woofer panel centers was 23.5 degrees. Actually a bit less because I had rotated the panels a bit to reduce phase differences between the woofer and tweeter at the listening seat.

I agree; if I sat further away from the speakers (I actually had my forehead up against the panels I used as the ambio barrier) the results may well be better, especially since the high frequency "smearing" should be directed more away from the ears. I will try that later; too much going on now to devote time to reconfiguring the system.

Which angle should govern: if getting the woofers within a 20 degree included angle means the tweeters are closer than 10 degrees included angle, is that worse than the tweeters being right at 10 degrees but the woofers being greater than 20 degrees? I just had a thought of a new barrier configuration to try, with my 2 FRT style panels touching each other in the plane of the MMG speakers and spreading out to 4" to 6" wide closer to the listener. In other words, a wedge-shaped barrier vice a standard rectangular barrier geometry, as seen from above. That SHOULD direct any smearing early reflections from the FRT panel surfaces further still from the listener. Also, that would allow me to bring the MMGs even closer together; hence the angle questions. Thank you for your interest and assistance.

MG-bert

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.