Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Clarification of terms on Quad ESL-63s and their progeny

I keep seeing references in articles, ads and even reviews, where, one assumes, authors know what they are talking about, to "bass panels" in the Quad ESL-63 and following series of speakers--989s, etc.
I see this in reviews, where the company, it is claimed, "added two bass panels" to the four-panel ESL-63. I see people selling ESL-63 "bass panels" on the net and so on.
As I understand it, the original ESL, or ESL-57 as it is sometimes called, actually did have a treble panel and two bass panels that were structurally different from each other, and that received different parts of the audio signal. I am not entirely clear whether a crossover network was used in this speaker to divide the audio signal up between these two panels, but it would seem likely. Perhaps someone who knows could elucidate this point for us.
As I understand it, the ESL-63 and its followers had no crossover network and that the entire audio signal was fed to every panel. There were delay lines used to determine exactly when sound was propagated (from the center of the speaker to the outer edges), but that, it seems to me, is very different from a crossover network as that term is generally understood. Aren't peoples' references to "bass panels" in the later Quads simply incorrectly informed? Or am I?

Edits: 03/05/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Clarification of terms on Quad ESL-63s and their progeny - George S. Roland 10:04:14 03/05/17 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.