Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "New" Quads and Stands

Thanks Josh. I understand what you're saying but there are often contradictions in audio theory!

As I sad earlier it was generally believed 20 years ago that floor-standing speakers should always be spiked to the floor - through the carpet if there was one. It was thought that any vibrations in the cabinet could be largely dispersed by bolting it to the floor. Now that we all use spikes, the snake oil peddlers say no, you need to isolate your speakers from the horribly vibrating floors! They sell us crazily priced "sorbothane" or other substances housed in stainless feet and ask hundreds per speaker. Well, if we just want to isolate our speakers so that vibrations from the floor or the cabinet don't adversely affect the music and we believe that isolation is the best way, why don't we simply put a coir matt under our speakers? No vibration is going either way through a coconut floor mat with tens of thousands of minute fibres supporting the cabinet! Or we could use sound deadening sheets that are installed in boat engine rooms. What's wrong with that and why shouldn't it be just as effective as

Edits: 03/02/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.