Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: new to me magnestan SMGa

LOL, I had already checked these very same specs earlier, before my previous posting to you.

It is too long a story to tell all right now but I am sure that you will get to understand it all in a short time. Just stay tuned to us maniacs around here and we'll make you a dizzy kind of Einstein. To really start you into some of the madness, perhaps Satie can tell more of it later. For now, let me just tell you about some of the "signs" to look for.

Notice how the 4800 is rated at 60 watts/channel RMS and later claimed to handle even 100 watts/channel, with the list of channels? (All, while at 6 ohms impedance, which is often -- though not always -- used to over-represent power ratings.)

Well, first, they mention "RMS" only in the first rating, for just two channels driven at the same time. Hey! That's fine. Among us ladies, RMS is called the REAL watts. Sony folks say "you drive this sucker on just 2 channels and we can deliver 60 real watts per channel...if the speakers stay at a nominal 6 ohms. (Most speakers are really 8 ohms, so less than 60 watts. Ironically, you "could" get more than 60 watts if your speakers are 4 ohms, like most Maggies...but...Sorry, not here. That's because of "hidden limitations".

See, they masterfully refrain from saying RMS (and definitely not "simultaneously") for the rest of the multi-channel sets, shown after the stereo figures. All they admit is to the large 10% distortion, more acceptable in low-end car stereos and in portables. This means that they are using a very liberal type of "watts" rating (there are several), clearly not RMS.

And as for the 100 watts each channel while played simultaneously, which is left to wishful thinking...HaHa! Omission caps the marketing subterfuge. (To be fair, few multi-channel devices deliver full rated RMS power continuously into all channels for any long period at the same time. But several do get there simultaneously for a short periods.)

So, at this point you start to smell the rats. Even without looking at the electrical power consumption ratings (an easy next step) it is clear that this unit has a very wimpy power supply. A very telling figure is the amps rating for electrical power. In addition, there's no mention of alternate impedances, much less of low ones. Take a look at the bottom of this capture from the Denon 2106 specs. It is not that they encourage the 2 ohms figure but mentioning it provides reassurances that it has enough current headroom. And more current is like having a larger pipe to supply more water when needed. (Ever seen those large caps inside amps? Those large cans are exactly like large water reservoirs. The larger the better to store current reserves.)

At most, Sony's receiver is rated at 1.4 amps max (165watts/115v). The wimpiest Denon I ever had was this AVR 2106 back in 2008, rated at 5.5A. And it still struggled with some of my...abuses. Imagine: MMG's tweeter directly (line-level at 2.6ohms), woofer segment at 4ohms, plus 3 surround speakers at 8 ohms ea. (And it is still driving speakers somewhere in the northeast:) These can now be found for about $100 on eBay at times. Far better yet is the AVR-3805, easily found for circa $200. This little tank of mine only died when someone accidentally poured a drink on it while playing. Those 7 amps on tap do sustain a huge soundstage when in Pure Direct stereo mode! Its overall SQ is commendable, I even keep a 4306 as pinch hitter so my separates can take a break..and it can even be a kick-asser.

But the Denons are not the only ones, just the ones I had a chance to abuse :) I am sure that you can find other candidates if you ask.

Edits: 02/27/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.