Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "New" Quads and Stands

I have just bought a pair of Quad 2905s (arriving Wednesday) that don't need stands, but I'm interested in the "castors vs spikes" discussion.

10-20 years ago every speaker builder said you must use spikes into the floor to solidly connect speakers to floor to get best sound. Now it seems that "isolation" is the popular choice where speakers seem to be deliberately and often expensively isolated to prevent unwanted vibration. Has the world gone mad, or have I misunderstood the concept, or have the laws of Physics changed over the last couple of decades?

I'm asking because I'll have to decide what to put under my Quads. I don't want spikes into my nice timber flooring, but could use spike cups. Or I could "isolate" the speakers with Vibrapods or some other device made from vinyl, rubber or Sorbothane. Or I could spike into a sacrificial heavy board or stone slab and isolate that from the floor. Any suggestions?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.