Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Adding a tweeter to MMG

JBen, actually the longer story which I have recounted elsewhere is about 8-9 years ago I called up, specifically asked if they could demo the LFT8b, setup an appointment, arrived at the proscribed time. When I get there the proprietor ushers me into the listening room and there against the back wall are the LFT8bs with dust on them. laid out in from are a pair of point source 40" towers attached by by firehose sized cables to massive tube mono blocks which is in turn attached to a minimalistic tube preamp attached to a turntable with an 8" high translucent platter.

He gushed about the auditory epiphany I was about to experience, and put on a Jackson Browne album. Unfortunately I am a philistine I guess, because I didn't get it. It sounded nice, but no better than my KEF 105.4s attached to my Emotiva XPA1 monoblocks. Also I wasn't fond of the extremely low level hiss and pops (barely audible) I heard, that digital media does not have. When I mentioned these things it was as though I had threatened his first born with a hatchet while kicking his dog. He started spewing about how digital encoding slices and dices the music and gets rid of inaudible things that make the music real.

Then I mentioned that I actually enjoy multi channel music, SACD and DVD Audio. Well if he had a rail, bucket of tar and some feathers, I would have been in big trouble. I think he actually started to twitch.

Now I was just wasting his time. I never did get to listen to the LFT8bs.

I went back recently because they had a pair of B&W 803 Matrixes for sale at a fair price, and I had a pair of B&W 805 Matrixes I wanted to sell. When I came in I brought a Sheffield Drum CD which I use to test speakers with. The owner had delegated the task of working with me to his son. He was impressed that I chose Sheffield Drum for testing at the same time disdainful of the fact it was a CD. The 803s sounded great. I was ready to trade. He hooked up my 805s and of course decided to play an album. The woofers on the 805s started pulsing at about 10hz. He had no rumble filter in the circuit. They sounded just as good as the 803s, with less bass. He poked and prodded, and listened intently and declared them satisfactory.

Now I know he's a dealer and needs to make a profit. The 805s sell in good shape for between $600 - $800. I figured if he were to offer me $400 he'd make at least a 33% margin, I'd take it and buy his speakers. He offered $200, non-negotiable. Two weeks later I sold them on Cragislist for $600 and found a pair of 802 Matrix S3s for the same price he was selling the 803s for.

All's well that ends well I guess.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.