Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: definitely tweeters in

There are two main issues, the simple one is that you have the crossover designed for the tweeters out position, where the driver timing (offsets) integrates with the crossover's delays. The second is interaction with the sidewalls.

The "best" balance of reflected to direct sound is usually with the tweeter at about 3ft from the sidewalls. Larger distances emphasize the center image and reduce the dominance of ambient cues. If your room is narrow, then the tweeters out position will end up pushing the speakers too close together and the soundstage would narrow somewhat. In a wide room you would be able to "isolate" the speakers from the sidewall interactions and have tweeters out at either the normal 3ft distance to the sidewalls or pulled further into the room to give you the listening distance to interspeaker spacing ratio that provides you with the best aspect angle for your listening preference. For example, I like to have a close up perspective of a front hall seat. That requires a wide aspect angle that most people don't like. Most recordings are made with the assumption of a 60 degree angle so you are trying to get a wider soundstage than the recording was intended to provide. I was pleasantly surprised that it actually works quite well in presenting a close up orchestra without the soundstage distorting its shape up to nearly 160 degrees, My preferred angle is normally closer to 120 deg...
In a wide room with the tweeters in you hardly have any sidewall participation and you get minimonitor like lateral and depth dimensions with terrific precision, but lack a bit of an ambient sense of the hall.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.