Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: miss the Telarc Organ Symphony

The Theta Intrepid goes for about $1-1.3k giving you 5 channels for 1/3rd the cost, Effectively $600 or so per channel pair. The downside is that because it is a non feedback design it has weak bass and midbass performance. Because of this, and because of the particular attention Reich puts into midrange and treble performance it should do the tweeters and mids a better service than any of the JC designs. My only caveat is that being a DC servo it might have a slight low level resolution problem as the TIVa mids have and the Neo8 do but to a much lesser extent. I have not found any review to mention that it is an actual performance limitation.

Of course, the Theta Intrepid is not going to drive the bass panels. It also needs a real ground so requires that you have 3 phase wiring in order to avoid hum..

The other issue and downside of a non feedback balanced design is that the THD is rather high in the presence of bass and IMD on adjacent freq tests would be higher. But it is 3rd order so rather innocuous. This is not far from my old DR-9 design (from which Reich derived the Theta line) in general behavior and I can assure you it works fabulously on both mids and tweeters. Class A operation is 8-10W as tuned at the factory, you can bias it up further but the amp does well in the class B portion of its output so it is not as critical as it is in the JC and Emotiva designs..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.