Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: The correct magnepan for my room

If my experience is any guide (and it may not be), you're going to have trouble with the fireplace location. I wanted to put my Maggies on either side of my fireplace too -- the room works out brilliantly -- but no matter what I did, I couldn't get that magical Maggie imaging. The sound seemed to be coming from the mantle. They really seem to prefer a fairly plain wall behind them (though HP of TAS had a lot of luck with a bay window -- you never really know with planars!).

You might have better luck than I did, but I'd be cautious. Not that they'll sound bad, but they may not sound as spectacular as you remember them.

That said, I love Maggies as movie speakers, preferably big ones. It isn't a combo that most people think of but it's the best theatrical sound I've ever heard, and I used to work in motion picture audio. The naturalism of the sound adds a lot to the experience. I had the big Tympani 1D's back then, which play louder and deeper than the smaller ones, but I've also had MMG's and they did well, just not at thunderous levels.

I think you may want to wait until you know the exact room layout and then talk to Wendell Diller, the head of sales at Magnepan. Wendell has had more experience than any of us with what model sounds best in which circumstance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.