Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Ordering from Magnepan, lol if it wasn't sad

In more recent years, the Telarc 1812 SACD has punished my MMG's. Yet, back in the 80's it was the original Telarc LP of 1812 who sent several pairs of woofers to heaven. I actually kept buying them in advance, 4 pairs at a time. All in all, 9 pairs died within 2 years.

Once the factory ran out of the woofers, I replaced them with a higher power-rated set of woofers but (unknowingly) of half the original impedance. It was a 3-way bi-amped box system and the woofers had a stereo power amp all to themselves. So, they worked fine for a while, even playing 1812 "loudishly".

Then came one evening fully reserved for my audio pleasure. It actually turned into an audiovisual spectacle. The deafening tune of the cannons yielded the scene to the fireworks. The woofers power amp blew in glorious sparks.

BTW, if I remember this right, I think it was Norman who also launched some serious fireworks from his power amp while playing 1812 at one time.

Then you go blow sparks in them Maggie fuses!

Not audiophiles...pyromaniacs is what we are!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.