Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Ordering from Magnepan, lol if it wasn't sad

But then, there's a flip side. I just ordered some parts for my Tympani IVA's -- felt strips for the tweeters and adhesive to repair the voice coil.

These speakers were built 30 years ago and they still offer complete parts and support. They have cheap DIY repair kits, or they will rebuild them from scratch, an operation that requires its own mini factory that can reproduce any old model or its parts. Compare that to your $700 cell phone with its non-interchangeable battery!

And they don't make a profit off of this, their parts and repair operation is at cost, whereas most companies make spare parts into a profit center and sell them at exorbitant rates.

As to ordering, I raised this point with Wendell. His reply was that he's gone to the opposite extreme -- all calls now go through him, because he can better advise customers on the best products to buy and they're happier with the results. So when you order a product, even a $600 speaker like the MMG, you are talking to their director of sales and getting the advice of someone who knows more about choosing and setting up Maggies than just about anyone living. He has found that customers have been more satisfied and less likely to return products since he started doing this.

I think they may be losing some customers like you who just want to click and order, and I've expressed that concern to Wendell. But I suspect that he would rather lose the occasional sale and make sure that the sales he does make are to customers who ordered the right thing and are happy, since their sales depend on word of mouth. I mean, I just ordered a UPS from Amazon that wasn't quite what I wanted. Decided to keep it because it was close enough and it's a pain to pack it up and return it. Maggies are even harder to return, and because they interact with the room they aren't as easy to buy.

I don't know if this kind of approach can survive in an era when people are used to clicking to order and then waiting 45 minutes for a customer support experience that has intentionally been made to be miserable, but it's the way they've chosen to do business and it does have benefits, in particularly the expertise you can draw on when you place the order or have a technical problem. I've sometimes thought while listening to ghastly hold music that companies should be rated by the ratio between the time it takes to reach sales and the time it takes to reach tech support. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.