Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Seeking Advice - 20,1s, 3.7s, subs

I've found a sweet combination between the 3.7i and a Hsu Research ULS-15 Mk 2 (centered between my Maggies). If you aren't sure about upgrading your Maggies, you may just want to try out a good subwoofer first. Unless prices have changed recently, the Hsu Research subs can currently be purchased for under $1000 each.

As a Maggie owner you already know how much room size, front/back wall distance, toe-in, acoustic treatments and amplification will impact your sound. These are also considerations for any speaker/sub combination. Note: Mye stands are also recommended for whichever Maggies you end up keeping.

My experience with 3.7i has been that using a well designed sub just to support the lowest octave ...without bi-amping or insinuating an active crossover network between the speakers and sub... eliminates the need for two subwoofers (directionality isn't as much of an issue under 40 hz). In fact, stereo subs can be overkill (unless you choose a high cut-off point), but again it depends on the other factors mentioned.

Mid sized (3 series) Maggies don't produce a lot of bass in a large room below 40hz, so setting the sub cut off just above that will usually provide a nice full top to bottom musical presentation (all other factors considered). Hsu Research sub controls provide good flexibility.

Everyone listens to music differently, so my rig may not suit another Maggie owner's personal tastes, but this is what works for me.

Cheers,
AuPh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.